- Address to visit the cemetery: Scheveningseweg on the corner of the Burgemeester Patijnlaan, The Hague
- Website: www.joodsebegraafplaats.nl
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ING Bank account: NL26 INGB 000 3376 801
Stichting Instandhouding Joodse begraafplaats ‘s-Gravenhage
- Chamber of Commerce The Hague, registration 41153304
- Mr. M. A. P. (Michiel) van Haersma Buma, chairman
- Mr. A. (Bert) Dreese, vice-voorzitter, vice-chairman
- Ir. R.J. (Rob) Gmelig Meijling, secretary
- Mr. P.A. (Paul) van Hecking Colenbrander, treasurer
- P. (Peter) van Raalte, member
- R. (Rebecca) van Leeuwen, member
- Mr. A.P. (Arjan) Hamburger, member
The board is honorary.
The entrance to the cemetery:
– is located opposite the Peace Palace, on the corner of the Scheveningseweg and the Burgemeester Patijnlaan, next to the Toll house with the white washed walls at the tram tracks; – behind the coffee house / terrace De Oude Tol.
Public transport: bus and tram stop Vredespaleis / Peace Palace, tram 1 from Spui (city hall) and bus 24 from Station Den Haag Centraal.
Brief history of the Foundation for the Preservation of the Jewish Cemetery in the Hague
After the Second World War the Jewish community of The Hague was decimated to such an extent that it could not maintain the Old Cemetery any more. The extent of neglect and deterioration of the grounds and the gravestones necessitated in 1984 the start of the Foundation for the Preservation of the Jewish Cemetery in the Hague. The subsidies and donations gathered by the Foundation enabled the first extensive restoration in 1987 and 1988 of the brick wall around the cemetery, the pre-burial house, the gate-keeper dwelling, the entrance gate and 1,500 of the 2,860 gravestones. An inventory was carried out, every individual gravestone recorded and the monumental oak-trees treated against decay.
Since 2005 the Foundation has enabled the rebuilding of a collapsed part of the 19th century wall and has prevented a large part of the wall from falling over by positioning steel support struts. The Foundation ensures yearly extensive mowing and tree maintenance to be carried out and endeavours to restore and repair gravestones, cemetery-wall and pre-burial house.
Deze post is ook beschikbaar in / this post is also available in: Dutch